Avoiding Electrocution Injuries

Electricity might be one of the most important human inventions, but like its predecessor, fire, it presents serious risks as well. By now, given how long the United States has had ubiquitous electricity, these risks are relatively familiar.

For one, we all know that it is a bad idea to stick a fork in an electrical outlet. Despite this familiarity, however, thousands of people are injured by electric shock, sometimes fatally, every year.

Dangers Of Electrocution

Electricity is concentrated energy. In power outlets, in telephone poles, and within circuit boards, high amounts of energy flow. If people come into direct contact with electricity, they can be seriously injured.

Technically the word “electrocution” refers only to death from electric shock. In common usage, however, it includes any serious contact with electricity. Although contact with downed power lines is often fatal, even the current used in everyday outlets is enough to kill a human.

People can experience electric shock also when water comes into contact with electricity. Spilling water on a keyboard, for example, will break the keyboard and possibly cause sparks to fly.

Or, if someone touches a telephone pole wire while simultaneously touching the ground or touching something that is touching the ground, that individual will be shocked so much that death will likely result.

A common way that fatal electric shocks occur is if electric appliances, like a toaster or a hair dryer, is dropped into water or gets wet and people come into contact them.

Steps To Avoid Electrocution

All it takes to receive a potentially fatal electric shock is sticking your finger in a light socket, for example. Even if it seems ridiculous, the everyday task of changing a light bulb puts you very close to a socket.

For that reason, it’s always important to turn off the light fixture whose bulb you are changing, at the very least. Even then the socket remains dangerous: faulty wiring could keep it live.

When working with any electronic device that plugs into a wall-or things relying on powerful batteries like you find in cars-it’s important to turn off electricity to the whole room at the circuit breaker. Not doing so greatly increases your risk of electrocution.

Be sure to avoid contact between electronics and water as well. Thousands of people are killed every year by devices like curling irons or radios falling into bathtubs. Any body of water, even a puddle, that has become electrified, can cause death by electrocution.

Strong thunderstorms and fallen limbs can lead to downed power lines, which are extremely dangerous. If the lines make contact with water, touching the water could be fatal.

Contact Us

By taking steps to insure your safety around electronics, you can greatly lessen your risk of electrocution. If you or a loved one has been injured by electric shock, despite taking safety precautions, you might be entitled to damages. To speak to an experienced personal injury lawyer, contact the Clearwater personal injury lawyers of Tragos, Sartes & Tragos, P.L.L.C. today at 727-441-9030.

Contact Us