Motorcyclists must exercise extreme caution when navigating the roads. One sudden jerk can potentially result in very serious injury. Motorcycle accidents are not uncommon in Florida and it is important that any rider takes active steps to protect from the potential harms of the road. However, even the most vigilant motorcyclist can get into an accident due to someone else’s negligence.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, contact an experienced Wesley Chapel motorcycle accident lawyer immediately for a free consultation. An experienced personal injury lawyer can work hard to build your case.
Causes for Motorcycle Accidents
- Other Motorists. A majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by the negligence of other motorists on the road. Generally, an operator of a motor vehicle owes a duty to everyone else on the road to operate their motor vehicle in a reasonably prudent manner.
- Poor Repair Work. Motorists are not the only cause for motorcycle accidents, however. If a mechanic fails to exercise the proper due care when fixing a motorcycle – such as forgetting to tighten a bolt or screw – the mechanic may be liable for damages.
- In some rare circumstances, an injured motorcyclist may be able to sue the State of Florida or a local city for failing to properly maintain a road. Motorcycles are especially prone to obstructions in the road, such as potholes. Suing the government requires the guidance of an experienced trial attorney as there are many procedural hurdles to consider when suing the State or local government.
Compensation For Losses
In order to be eligible for recovery, the injured party must be able to demonstrate that injuries were sustained. This is typically done by way of medical bills. If injured as a result of a motorcycle accident, it is critical to seek medical attention immediately. Keep organized files of every expense incurred for medical treatment. A Wesley Chapel motorcycle accident lawyer will be able to provide guidance on to how to properly document these expenses as they accrue.
In addition to receiving compensation for medical expenses, the motorcyclist may be able to receive compensation for damage to the bike itself. If the bike is declared a total loss, then the motorcyclist may be able to recover for the cost to replace the motorcycle.
If the motorcycle is not declared a total loss, then the motorcyclist may be able to recover the costs associated with returning the motorcycle to its previous state prior to the accident.
Typical Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents can result in serious injuries which can have both short and long-term effects on an individual’s quality of life. Examples of some of these injuries include:
- Head trauma (i.e. concussion)
- Skull fracture
- Spinal cord injuries
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Burns and scrapes
- Broken back
- Fractured ankles
- Torn ligaments
Wearing a helmet while operating a motorcycle is always advised; it has the potential to save the live of the rider.
How a Wesley Chapel Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Help
Wesley Chapel sees its fair share of motorcycle accidents. Having a competent and experienced Wesley Chapel motorcycle accident lawyer is critical to help maximize recovery for losses. Personal injury attorneys with experience in representing clients in motorcycle related accidents will have a solid understanding of the relevant laws and how to go about dealing with insurance companies.
Personal injury cases are generally taken on a contingency basis. This means that a client will not pay a penny unless the attorney obtains a favorable result.