In Florida, theft is a crime of enhancement under the law. This means that after the initial conviction for theft, the penalties escalate with each subsequent conviction. Convictions for theft will have a negative affect on your future employment opportunities and could make it difficult to earn a prospective employer’s trust, making it important a Clearwater theft lawyer is contacted as soon as possible. An experienced defense attorney in Clearwater can look at the facts and circumstances surrounding the case, and build the strongest defense possible.

Moral Turpitude

Crimes involving theft reflect on a person’s honesty and moral character. They are crimes of moral turpitude. This means that it is a crime that is considered contrary to the community’s standards of justice, honesty, or good morals.If an individual has a conviction for theft on their record, they will most likely have problems finding employment in the future. If they do find a job, it will most likely be a low level position, away from important documents and materials. In this way, a conviction for theft is similar to a fraud conviction.

Classifications of Theft

Theft is divided into two classifications: misdemeanor and felony. Misdemeanor theft involves stealing little items that have a value of less than $300. Shoplifting, or petit theft, usually falls under this category. Felony theft involves stealing larger or higher priced items, like cars. Shoplifting, depending on the store, can also warrant a felony theft charge. Felony theft is separated from misdemeanor theft at the $300 mark. This means that if an item stolen or the total amount stolen is worth less than $300, the charge will be a misdemeanor. In Florida, there is no statute classifying a crime as grand theft.

If you or someone you know has been charged with theft, your future employment is on the line as well as your freedom. The Clearwater theft lawyers of the Law Offices of Tragos, Sartes & Tragos, PLLC will fight to keep your name and record clear. Contact us if you have any questions concerning your case.

Contact Us